Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: The White Forest by Adam McOmber

On the outskirts of lives, Jane Silverlake, a young woman living a quiet existence who loves nothing more than spending time with her two best friends, Maddy and Nathan. Things are perfect between them - laughing, sharing secrets and exploring the wild heath in Jane's estate.  

One day Nathan goes missing and Jane has to confront the secret she shared with them - the one that allows Jane to hear the soul of an object. The secret Maddy has done her best to ignore and now they must work together to bring Nathan home.  

I really wanted to enjoy this book. It was purported to be similar to Erin Morgenstern's The Circus, which was one of my top 10 from 2011, but sadly it was not. It's possible that my expectations were too high, but I just found myself bored with the main character. There was nothing that allowed me to connect with her, so instead of sympathizing with how she struggled with her strange powers, I found her to whiney.  Rather than rooting for her to find Nathan, I really just wanted the book to end, so I wouldn’t have to listen to how isolated her magic made her feel.   

For me, this was not a good read, but I also grew impatient with Frodo in the Lord of Rings trilogy for a similar reason – he couldn’t stop talking about how hard it was to carry the ring.  

Just something else to consider….

No comments:

Post a Comment