Saturday, March 30, 2013

Review: The Dinner by Herman Koch

Dinner with family.  Sometimes fun and enjoyable, but for two brothers, it's not just about sibling rivalry.  It's their children and life as they know it hangs in the balance.

The WSJ called this novel, "A European Gone Girl".  They may have exaggerated a bit...or a lot to say the least.  This book did nothing for me, mostly because I could not connect with the lead character/narrator - the less famous brother.  

He spent the majority of the story trying to prove what a jerk his brother was.  Arrogance, the way he orders food, his constant politician's smile, his summer home, how he consumes his meal, his adopted children...by the time I got to the problem with the children, I was just bored.  

If I wanted to watch 2 people attack one another that much, I'd start paying more attention to politics.  

On the bright side, I finished a book club book weeks before the meeting, rather than the morning of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment