Friday, May 25, 2012

Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was one of the few books I was assigned in high school that I actually enjoyed.  The beautiful and haunting Mr. Gatsby, the frivolous waif Daisy and Nick - Nick always watching and wondering how he got caught up in this mess…sigh.  The book still takes my breath away. 
Okay, so does Robert Redford.  He is lovely to watch in the title role in the 1974 film version of Gatsby.  So you can imagine how my curiosity was piqued when I heard Baz Luhrman was taking on the remake. 
With Romeo & Juliet and Moulin Rouge Luhrman has proved that he has the skill to capture the hedonism and decadence the books describes, so in my mind, the movie was already going to be good.  Then I saw the trailer - it looks gorgeous, a beautiful cross between The Aviator & Moulin Rouge.  Oh and the casting...Leo and Toby could not be more perfect as the enigmatic Gatsby and the somber Nick.  I’m so excited! 
I guess we know what I’ll be reading next….

No comments:

Post a Comment